Saturday, December 26, 2009

Meeting Casts of 'Finding Nemo' in Bunaken, North Sulawesi Indonesia (25 - 26 December 2009)


Day 1

My kids, Lulu and Lilo, and I arrived Sam Ratulangi Airport of Manado North Sulawesi on the Christmas Day of 2009. The airport was hot and there was not many trolley available. Thank goodness, my sister Helga arrived from Jakarta not long after so at least my luggage trouble was sorted out.

A taxi took us to the hotel. There was a touchy moment when we found our taxi driver taking his son with him in the cab. "His mum with his sister visiting the relatives for christmas. So he has to come with me because there is nobody at home" the driver told us. For me, it is sad to work in a big day like that, we suppose to be with our family.

The hotel we stayed in, Santika, located in Tongkeina. We saw bufallos, dogs .... and hedgehogs on the street to the hotel. A bit remote isn't it? But the hotel is in perfect location, Bunaken and Manado Tuo islands are across the shore.... and at the hotel we also got acquantance with this cute dogAs we arrived in the afternoon, we just walked around the hotel and checked the boat for the next day. I was a bit worry as the weather was not very friendly, especially for snorkling. Hope the sun would come out on the next day.

Day 2

Sunny day!!

From the hotel pier, we were on the boat heading to Bunaken island at nine thirty in the morning. Everybody had the life jacket on.As we approaching the island, a church which looked like a fairy tale castle welcomed us.Then we arrived the island. When we got there, some locals offering us with many things. One lady offering us with mangoes and banana fritter. However, she got a giant dagger in the hand. Hard to say No isn't it?I paid 150,000 rupiahs to for two hours rental of small boat which took us to the snorkling location. Then, off we go. The truth is, among the four of us, only Lulu who could swim well. Lilo which is only five not very confident with his swimming, I am a new swimmer and Helga could not swim. But the beauty which appeared beneath the clear water, and of course the life jackets and a guide, got the fear away from us.

And there we were ..... with a chaotic start, but we enjoyed ourselves and saw the beauty of nature..The corrals, the fish and everything was sooo.... beautiful, so colorful. I did not take any pictures, because I didn't bring under water camera. But if you want proof, you can check the beauty of Bunaken in the internet .... or just come visit this marine park!

Lilo went on and off for snorkling. He could not stayed long on the boat. "Mama, I saw a lot of Dori" he said. Dori is talkative fish in the Disney Pixar movie 'Finding Nemo.'And Lulu, she is a champion. Not only snorkling by herself, she was occasionally my guide.

While enjoying the marine view, I did not realized that I got myself around the seawall. It was so dark .... I was so terrified and asked the guide to take me away from there.

After snorkling, we had lunch in the island. We had Manado food: Grilled fish, soup, 'dabu-dabu' chillie and fresh coconut. So yummy, especially for our empty tummies. Before leaving, we walked the island and bought souvenirs. It was a good day!

Note about Bunaken (From me):
- Don't compare the island with Gilies, the beauty of Bunaken is the marine park.
- Fresh water is expensive. We had to pay around 10,000 rupiahs for a gallon to wash.
- Better to get the boat from Manado as we can use it to the island and snorkling area. (Unlike me spending money for two boats ... shhh ..).

No comments:

Post a Comment